Geri dönüşüm (recycling) nedir ve neden önemlidir? Geri dönüşüm maddeleri ve önemi hakkında ingilizce bilgi, yazı.
Geri Dönüşüm Hakkında İngilizce Bilgi
Recycling is important. Every day we throw away things that are empty, broken, used or unwanted. Recycling transforms these old things into brand new useful things.
Recycling uses a lot less money, energy, and saves a lot of the Earth’s natural resources.
Environmental Impact of Landfill
If we do not recycle our rubbish it is taken to landfill. This is a big hole in the ground where it is spread out and squashed down.
Burying waste in landfill spoils our countryside and is very bad for the environment. Chemicals build up underneath the surface, which can escape. A poisonous liquid called Leachate can seep out and cause damage to plants, wildlife and pollute water.
Soon there will not be enough land left to build new landfill sites, so we need to prevent materials going to landfill sites by Reducing, Reusing and Recycling.
Reduce the need for mining new raw materials
A lot of the rubbish we throw away is packaging. This is made from different raw materials:
- ***Wood from trees is used to make paper and cardboard boxes
- ***Oil is extracted and processed to make plastics,
- **Metal ores are mined to make cans
- ***Sand and other minerals are used to make glass.
By Recycling we can Reduce the need to extract new raw materials, which conserves the environment they would have been taken from. Recycling reduces the amount of energy needed to remove raw materials, and the pollution that would have been generated by the extraction and transportation processes.
If you check the labels of the packaging you buy you will find that most items are now made from some Recycled materials.
Fun Facts About Recycling
- Plastics are usually marked with an identification code that shows a recycling symbol and a number from 1 to 7.
- This indicates the type of chemicals, or polymer, used in making the plastic.
- Used paper can be recycled around seven times. After this the fibers get too short and are filtered out by the recycling process.
- Some waste material is turned into electricity energy by burning it in modern incinerators.
- Glass is one of the best recycling materials. Clear glass can be recycled over and over again.
- In 2009, the United States recycled around 1/3 of all its waste. Around 7 million tons of metals were recycled.